Monday, June 22, 2009

En Cayambe



I´ve only been in Ecuador for 5 days, but I can almost say a sentence in Spanish! The language barrier is proving to be my biggest challenge. I´m living with a host family who only speaks Spanish, so we result to gesturing and drawings after I say - como - about 3 times. They are very patient with me, and I´m teaching them some English too.

To back up a minute...I arrived in Quito last Wednesday, was greeted by the PC Ecuador staff and wisked away to a hostel in Quito. By the next afternoon, I was on a bus to Cayambe, a small city in the Sierra about 2 hours north of Quito. Luckily, I haven´t had any problems adjusting to the altitude - I am about 10,000 ft. above sea level. It is beautiful here. I went for a run this morning and had a crystal clear view of the Cayambe Mountain covered in snow. I also watched a parade yesterday as part of the fiesta celebrating Saint Pedro. Lots of children participated in the parade and dressed in the traditional style for the Sierra or the Oriente. I´ll try to upload photos soon.

I´ll be living with my host family for the next 9 weeks during training. If I pass all of the PC evaluations (and I will), I´ll be sworn in as a volunteer August 19th. So for now, I have lots of tests and community activities focusing on improving my language, learning the technical skills I´ll need to support my community health projects, safety and security, and culture. Its exhausting and the hardest thing I think I´ve ever done. But its worth it.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck down there. And don't worry, you'll pick up the Spanish in no time. It's easier than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, great! And yes, Joel is right. Your spanish will improve in no time. Living with a host family is the best way. My spanish came a long way when I lived with a family in Spain. Can't wait for your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hola jen - como estas? hope you are doing well - don't worry about your spanish - you are so smart you will learn in no time! love, jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are fabulous! so excited to hear more! in the meantime, enjoy pictionary

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha! i am laughing just thinking about you saying como 376 times before resorting to drawing! i am sure it will get easier soon. ps.... how do you say "pirate" in spanish?? too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck, Jen! It sounds like all is well to start. Immersion is the only way to learn a language and you will be amazed by how quickly you'll start to master Spanish! Lots of love, Vicki and Tom

    ReplyDelete