Thursday, July 23, 2009

July 16 - My Site Assignment

Found out today where I’ll be spending the next 2 years of my life – in Los Tillales, which turns out, is a little town in the province on Manabi on the coast. There are 7 other trainees heading to that province, and a handful of other volunteers there already. I learned the closest volunteer is about 45 minutes away from me in Porteviejo, the capital of Manabi.

From the basic information I have, it looks like my main project will be working with Corozon Feliz (Happy Hearts). It’s a project started by another volunteer in my site who is wrapping up her 2 years. Basically, I’ll be giving charlas on obesity and its co-morbidities. OBESITY!! Its followed me all the way to Ecuador, which I cannot believe. I thought for sure I’d be working in the area of transmittable diseases; not non-transmittable diseases. Who even knew obesity was a problem in Ecuador?? I certainly didn’t think it was as serious as other diseases. Turns out, I was wrong.

I head to Los Tillales on Saturday to meet my new host family and get a better sense of the town, its leaders, and its needs. The trip is about 12 hours…all night long…should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment